Meet and Greet...Jessica Skusa at SHAPE magazine

-Where are you from?
I grew up in a suburb of Houston, TX called The Woodlands. If you've ever seen the show Weeds, I can best describe it as Agrestic, but in hot and humid SE Texas. It's a planned community and all the houses, lawns, people and fashion look identical.
-Where do you work?
For the last 2 years, I've been at Shape Magazine as the Associate Market Editor.
-What and where did you study?
This is a simple question that has a complex answer. I went to a total of four schools, starting at Loyola University in New Orleans and ending at NYU with schools in Austin and San Diego in between. I graduated from NYU with a Bachelors in Journalism. I have to say, though, that I hated being a journalism major and my current profession has nothing to do the skills I learned during my years there.
-How did you get started in the fashion industry?
How did I get my start? Fate. And networking. While I might have hated my chosen major at NYU, I sort of owe the school for my initial success in the fashion industry. I saw a posting for an accessories internship at Nylon on the journalism department's online discussion board. I applied and got it. And thus began my career path to fashion editor. But had I not been in NYC at NYU as a journalism major with access to the internship postings, I would have never gotten the great start at Nylon. And a funny thing happened at Nylon. I befriended the Associate Market Editor there and we realized that she went to high school in Singapore with my friends and roommates in San Diego (small world, I know). We clicked and when she got a job at Lucky, she put in a great word for me and I was soon the fashion assistant there.
-What is your favorite trend at the moment?
Hmmm there are a lot of trends that I love right now. In general, I love the contrast of chic and edgy. Military jacket with heels. The Parisian feel of Breton stripes with cargo shorts or denim cut-offs. And because I mainly handle the accessories market, I love the mixed metals that are so hot in jewelry right now. Tough chains softened with jewels, or a touch of sparkle. And knuckle rings--I can't get enough of them!
-What is a typical day like?
My days in the office vary. Most days, I'm actually in and out of the office, going from one market appointment to the next to scope out the latest and greatest in accessories for the season. This enables me to know what pieces best fit whatever story we are currently working on, whether its a still-life page, fashion feature, or our covers. Being that its Shape magazine, I also am responsible for all on-model and celebrity fitness shoots (prepping and styling), so there are days that I'm on set at photo shoots in lieu of the office. Whatever kind of day it is, its a given that I'm always on the go.
-What inspires you?
Lots of things inspire me. The streets of New York-- seeing so many styles and personalities and walks of life. The styles and fashions of the Beatnik era also inspire me. And I don't know who in this industry isn't inspired by the J.Crew catalog lately. The styling is amazing!
-How would describe your style?
This is like the "About Me" section that's always so awkward to fill out. If I had to describe my style, I'd say I'm the girl who wants to be in a band, but isn't at all musically talented, so I figure I can just dress the part and feel just as cool. Anything striped and anything black goes. I usually mix a fairly simple t-shirt and skinny jeans outfit with a few stand-out accessories to get an edgy and slightly rocker vibe. But I'm careful not to go too literal, because let's face it, I'm no Joan Jett.


¿De Donde eres?
Yo crecí en unsuburbio de Houston, Texas llamado The Woodlands. Si alguna vez has visto el programa de television Weeds, puedo describirlo como rústico, pero en el caluroso y húmedo Sud Este de Texas. Es una comunidad planificada y todas las casas,los patios, las personas y la moda parecen idénticos.

¿Adonde Trabajas?
Durante los ultimos 2 anos, he estado en la revista SHAPE como el editor asociado en el departamento de moda.

¿Adonde Estudiaste?
Esta es una pregunta simple que tiene una respuesta compleja. Fui a un total de cuatro escuales, comenzando en la universidad de Loyola en New Orleans y terminando en NYU en el medio estudie en Austin y San Diego. Me gradua de la universidad de Nueva York con un Bachiller en periodismo. Tengo que decir, sin embargo, que odiaba ser un estudiante de periodismo y mi profesion actual no tiene nada que ver con las cosas que aprendi en mis años alli.

¿Como empezaste trabajando en la moda?
Como comenzé? Fue el destino. Y networking. Si bien odiaba la carrera que elegi en NYU, en cierto modo le debo a la escuela mi éxito inicial en la industria de la moda. Vi un anuncio para una pasantia en la revista Nylon por medio del departamento de periodismo. Applique y lo consegui. Asi comenzomi carrera ed editora de moda. Pero si yo no hubiera estado en Nueva York en la NYU como estudiante de periodismo, nunca hubiera conseguido el gran comienzo en la revista Nylon. Y una cosa chistosa paso en Nylon. Me hice amiga una de las editoras, y nos dimoas cuenta que ella fue a la escuela secundaria en Singapur con mis amigas y companeras de cuarto en San Diego ( que pequeno es el mundo, no?). Nos llevamos muy bien y cuando ella fue a trabajar a la revista Lucky, ella me dio como referencia y poco despues era la asistente en el departamento de moda.
¿Cual es tu tendencia de moda favorita en este momento?
Hay un monton de tendencias que me encanta en este momento. En general, me encanta el contraste de chic con edgy, chaquetas militares con talones, el estilo parisiano de rayas breton con pantalones cortos. Y porque mayormente me encargo del mercado de accesorios, me encanta la mezcla de metales que esta tan de moda ahora. Cadenas echas delicadas cuando combinada con joyas, o un toque de brillo, y anillos de nudillo- no me canso de ellos.

¿Como es un dia tipico para ti?
Mis dias en la oficina varian. En general, entro y salgo de la oficina hiendo a diferentes citas para ver que es lo ultimo en el mundo de accesorios. Esto me permite saber cuales son los accesorios que mejor funcionen con el editorial, los articulos en la revista, o la portada.

¿Que te inspira?
Muchas cosas me inspiran. Las calles de Nueva York- ver tantos estilos y personalidades y estilos de vida. Los estilos y moda de la época Beatnik también me inspiran. Y yo no sé quién en esta industria no se inspira por el catalogo de J.Crew últimamente. El estilismo es increíble!

¿Como describirías tu estilo?
Esto es como la sección "acerca de mi" que siempre es tan difícil de llenar. Si tuviera que describir mi estilo, yo diría que soy la chica que quiere estar en una banda de rock, pero no tiene en absoluto un talento musical, así que pensé que si me visto así por lo menos me sentire cool. Cualquier cosa con rayas y en negro funciona para mi. Por lo general me pongo un look sencillo, una camiseta y jeans ajustados con algunos accesorios que sean impactante para conseguir un estilo un poco rockero. Pero soy cuidadosa de no ser muy literal, porque seamos sinceros, no soy Joan Jett.

1 comment:

  1. nice interview - very informative! i'm gonna forward this to my friend at school.
    great job!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...