Interview: Ryan Vigilant of Lenox Ave. Series


On October 29th, Lenox Avenue, a new web series brought to you by executive producer Al Thompson ("Love Don't Cost A Thing") will premiere and give us a glimpse of life in one of the most culturally vibrant neighborhoods in NYC, Harlem. Ryan Vigilant ("Gossip Girl") one of the stars of the show took time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions about the show, Harlem, and his character Vaughn.

1. Hometown
 My hometown is Westford, Massachusetts. 

2. How did you start acting?
I was living and working in New York City after I graduated from Endicott College and I listened to advice that was given to me by my mother. When I was a teenager, she asked me this question in regards to a tough decision I was trying to make:  "What do you have to lose?" I have tried to live my life with that phrase in my mind. It has caused me to push back my fear of trying new things and experiences. Therefore when I got an idea that I might find acting enjoyable, I listened to mom and gave it a shot and I have never looked back

3. What is your character Vaughn like?
Vaughn is in his mid-twenties and is questioning the direction he is going with his life. He is forced to look at what he values in his life and he is trying to figure out how he feels about his current relationships. He spent most of his early twenties, I wouldn't say "playing it safe", but he might have had more movie nights than clubs outings. Now, with the help of his two friends Owen (Al Thompson) and Sellars (Dorian Missick) Vaughn is starting to discover a new Vaughn and a new night life in Harlem.


4. How are you and Vaughn similar?

I have to say I went through the same "quarter-life crisis" that Vaughn is going through. Actually I think every mid-twenties adult goes through this, we just never tell each other we are freaking out inside! It is especially hard when you are not following the same path as your friends or the typical adult. Vaughn and I were both transplants to New York City, each trying to find out who we are and at the same time trying to survive New York. I say that if you can stay a float in New York, count that as a victory. 

5. What are some of your favorite places in Harlem?
I am a foodie. I like nothing more than a great meal with one or two of my closest friends. I am also a fan of eating dinner at restaurants' bars. To satisfy both, I go to Red Rooster on west 125th street and Lenox. Amazing food with an outstanding staff and of course live Jazz if your lucky! After dinner I go to Corner Social, one block North on Lenox to chill and people watch while enjoying a nice beverage.

6.What do you do when your not acting or working? 
I love to cook. It is a great form of meditation for me. I get in this groove where my thoughts are focused on making that meal, allowing me to forget all the stresses that occurred through-out the day. I like to experiment with my cooking, using recipes as guidelines rather then following them directly. I guess I'm following my mom's advice in my cooking as well. Thankfully I enjoy everything I make, but my guests sometimes suffer with my "unorthodox" ingredient selection.  

Want to learn more about the show visit their site LenoxAveSeries.com and make sure to become a fan on FaceBook and follow the series on Twitter. You may also find Ryan on Twitter!

En Español

1. ¿De donde eres?
Soy de Westford, Massachusetts.

2. ¿Cómo empezaste a actuar?
Yo estaba viviendo y trabajando en Nueva York después de que me gradué de Endicott College y escuché los consejos que me fue dado por mi madre. Cuando era un adolescente, ella me hizo esta pregunta en relación a una decisión difícil que estaba tratando de hacer: "¿Qué tienes que perder?" He tratado de vivir mi vida con esa frase en mi mente. Se me ha hecho quitarme el miedo a probar cosas nuevas y experiencias. Por tanto, cuando tuve la idea que podría encontrar actuando agradable, escuché a mamá, lo intente y nunca mire hacia tras.

3. ¿Como es tu personaje Vaughn?
Vaughn está en sus veintes y esta dudando la dirección de su vida. Se ve obligado a meditar lo que valora en su vida y está tratando de entender cómo se siente acerca de sus relaciones actuales. Pasó la mayor parte de los veinte años, yo no diría que "sin tomar riesgos", pero tuvo más noches de cine que salidas a los clubes. Ahora, con la ayuda de sus dos amigos Owen (Al Thompson) y Sellars (Dorian Missick) Vaughn está empezando a descubrir un nuevo Vaughn y una nueva vida social en Harlem.

4.Cómo son tu y Vaughn similares?
Tengo que decir que pasé por el  mismo tipo de "crisis" en mis veintes que Vaughn está pasando. En realidad creo que todos los adultos a mediados de los años veinte pasa por esto, nunca acabamos de decirnos que nos estamos volviendo un poco locos por dentro! Es especialmente difícil cuando uno no está siguiendo el mismo camino que sus amigos o el típico adulto. Vaughn y yo somos trasplantes a Nueva York, cada uno tratando de averiguar quiénes somos y al mismo tiempo tratando de sobrevivir Nueva York. Yo digo que si sobrevivir en Nueva York, que debes contar eso como una victoria.

5. ¿Cuáles son algunos de tus lugares favoritos en Harlem?
Yo soy un foodie. Lo que más me gusta es comer una gran cena con uno o dos de mis mejores amigos. Yo también soy un fan de comer cena en los bares de restaurantes. Para satisfacer ambos, voy a Red Rooster en la calle 125 oeste y Lenox en Harlem. La comida es increíble con un grupo excepcional de empleados y por supuesto Jazz en vivo, si tienes suerte de estar ahi durante los conciertos! Después de cenar, voy a Corner Social, una cuadra al norte de Lenox para relajarme y observar a la gente mientras disfruto de una bebida.

6. ¿Que haces cuando no estas actuando o trabajando?
Me encanta cocinar. Es una gran forma de meditación para mí. Me meto en esta ranura donde mis pensamientos se centran en hacer la comida, que me permite olvidar todas las tensiones que se acumularon durante el día. Me gusta experimentar en mi cocina, considero recetas como directrices en lugar de reglas. Creo que estoy siguiendo el consejo de mi madre en mi cocina también. Afortunadamente, disfruto todo lo que hago, pero mis invitados a veces sufren con mi selección de ingrediente "poco ortodoxa."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...