Meet and Greet...Nate Gill at Major


While shooting an ad campaign, I met Nate from Major Models and he started telling me about his experience with being over weight in his youth and how he sees himself now. I asked him to share it with us here.

Being an entertainer is something I've aspired to do since a young age; the ability to sway ones emotions or change ones mood by playing a character in a role or capturing an image for an advertisement intrigued me in a way no other career choice could. Since modeling was one of the points of entertaining I wanted to succeed at, self image has been important for me to be aware of since I was young. Growing up I was always bigger than my brothers but the idea of being over weight was never brought to my attention until around the 7th grade. I spent the summer in North Carolina with my grandma, doing a lot of intake with not a whole lot of burning off. I came home thirty pounds heavier and clinically obese, weight that stuck with me all the way through high school. I have always been very active in sports but it never seemed to put me in a healthy athletic shape. As I got older and entered college the possibility of pursing my dreams became a reality as the opportunity for modeling was presented to me. I new that I wouldn't be able to reach the level of success I expected from myself unless I was in better shape; so over the course of a summer I took my health seriously and lost 40 pounds.

My whole life my parents preached to me to "take pride in what you look like." If that meant taking an hour to get ready to leave so be it. Making sure my clothes were matching or that my hair was combed was all well in good but it wasn't until my younger family members began to develop health problems did I realize that what I eat matters. With each new diagnosis of high blood pressure or Diabetes I started eating more greens and cutting out more processed foods.

I went from about 215 pounds to 180 pounds from July 8th to August 25th. Granted a lot of the weight was muscle because I was a college water polo player at the time. I ran 6 miles everyday, most of the run was uphill. I ate 5 to 6 small meals a day. Oatmeal in the morning ( lets say 8am) 10am bananas with peanut butter. 12pm, 6inch subway sandwich, run, go to work, have a salad with no dressing, a light snack before dinner. Eat dinner before 7pm, overnight I would eat pretty much anything except for processed foods and red meat. I drank about 2 liters of water a day and the weight seemed to just fall off. Since I have switched up the way I eat and work out based on my schedule I don't have time to workout as much so its more important what I put inside my body. I don't eat meat, don't eat any processed foods ( fast food, snack foods like goldfish, sodas and juices) I don't count how many meals I eat I simply eat when I'm hungry and don't when Im not, but still try and drink 2 liters of water a day.

I have never felt better. I wish I had more muscle but that will be easy to correct once I am through modeling. My knees don't have the pain that they used to because I'm not carrying around excess weight, and it's not a struggle for me to eat healthy, I enjoy it. You are what you eat, very true.

When I first started modeling my agent would tell me that I had a habit of putting my hand across my stomach so that I could hide my fat, although I am in great shape now and was then, I had never before felt confident with my shirt off so that was difficult to get over. Now its rare to see me with clothes on (laugh) I've never lacked unjustified confidence but now I that have a little bit to flaunt I flaunt that s*** (laugh).

As I said in the beginning I am an entertainer and will continue to entertain on different levels for the rest of my life. As I continue modeling I'm focused on acting, shooting a commercials, taking acting classes, just practicing my craft with everything I do. I have been able to use the small success I have achieved through modeling to volunteer for different organizations, help my family financially or advise young people seeking guidance. I use whatever comes out of acting and modeling to be a philanthropist and advocate for christian youth.


Ser un artista es algo que he aspirado
ser desde una temprana edad, la capacidad de influir en las emociones o los cambio de humor al interpretar un personaje o adquiriendo una imagen para un anuncio, me intrigó en una manera que ningúna otra carrera pudo hacerlo. Porque el modelaje fue uno de los puntos de entretenimiento en que quería tener éxito desde que era joven la forma en que me percibo físicamente ha sido importante para mí y el estar atento a la forma en que me veo. Siempre he sido más grande que mis hermanos, pero la idea de estar sobrepeso nunca la tuve hasta que estaba en el 7 º grado. Pasé el verano en Carolina del Norte con mi abuela, comiendo un montón y haciendo nada para quemar calorías. Llegué a casa treinta libras más pesado y clínicamente obeso, peso que mantuve hasta la escuela secundaria. Siempre he sido muy activo en el deporte, pero nunca resulto para poder ponerme en forma. A medida que fui creciendo y empecé la universidad se me presentó la posibilidad de realizar mis sueños; la oportunidad de modelar. Yo supe que no sería capaz de alcanzar el nivel de éxito que yo esperaba de mí mismo a menos que estuviera en mejor forma, de modo que en el transcurso de un verano tomé en serio mi salud y pérdi 40 libras.

Toda mi vida mis padres me inculcaron "ten orgullo en tu apariencia." Si eso significa tomar una hora para estar listo para salir, así sea. Asegurarse de que mi ropa combine o que mi pelo estaba peinado era bueno, pero no fue hasta que los miembros más jóvenes de la familia comenzaron a desarrollar problemas de salud que me di cuenta que lo que como importa. Con cada nuevo diagnóstico de hipertensión arterial o diabetes comencé a comer más verduras y cortar los alimentos procesados.

De aproximadamente 215 libras baje a 180 libras del 8 de julio al 25 de agosto. Por supuesto mucho del peso era muscular porque yo era un jugador de polo universitario en ese tiempo. Corría 6 millas todos los días, la mayor parte del recorrido era cuesta arriba. Comía 5 a 6 comidas pequeñas al día. harina de avena en la mañana (digamos 08 a.m.) 10am plátano con mantequilla de maní. 12:00pm sándwich de 6 pulgadas, correr, ir a trabajar, una ensalada sin aderezo, un aperitivo antes de cenar. Comer antes de la cena 19:00. En la noche comería casi cualquier cosa excepto los alimentos procesados y carnes rojas. Bebía unos 2 litros de agua al día y el peso sencillamente parecía bajar. Dado que he cambiado hasta mi forma de comer y trabajar en base a mi horario. No tengo tiempo para ejercitarme, lo que es más importante es lo que pongo dentro de mi cuerpo. Yo no como carne, no como ningún alimento procesado (comida rápida, bocadillos como galletitas, sodas/refrescos y zumos) no cuento cuántas comidas como, yo simplemente como cuando tengo hambre y no cuando no tengo, pero todavía trato de tomar 2 litros de agua al día.

Nunca me he sentido mejor. Me gustaria tener mas musculos pero eso sera mas facil de obtener cuando termine de modelar. Mis rodillas no sienten dolor al no tener que sostener tanto peso y no es un desafio comer saludable, lo disfruto. Tu eres lo que comes, es verdad.

Cuando empecé a modelar mi agente me decia que tenia la costumbre de cubrir mi estomago tapando mi grasa aunque estoy flaco ahora como lo estuve en ese momento nunca me he sentido comodo sin camisa, eso fue dificil de superar. Ahora, es raro verme con ropa puesta (risas) Nunca me ha faltado confianza injustificada pero ahora que tengo algo que mostrar puedo mostrarlo a todos (risas).

Como mencione anteriormente soy un artista y continuare entreteniendo en diferentes niveles por el resto de mi vida. Al continuar con el modelaje estoy enfocado en actuacion y haciendo comerciales, tomando clases de actuacion, practicando y desarollando mis talentos en todo lo que yo hago. He podido usar el poco exito que he obtenido modelando para ser voluntario en diferentes organizaciones, ayudar a mi familia financieramente o aconsejar a la juventud. Yo uso todo lo que resulte de la actuacion y modelaje para ser un filantropo y defensor de la juventud cristiana.
fotos via majormodel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...